- Automatically scans all email attachments for malware
- Scans all URLs with emails and Office documents to prevent the spread of viruses
- Scans files within OneDrive and SharePoint for viruses
- Uses Microsoft’s Spoof Intelligence platform to identify spam and viruses trying to spoof businesses domains
- Applies machine learning and impersonation detection algorithms to scan incoming messages to filter out spam emails
- Real time protection from users clicking on malicious links
- Reporting dashboard that allows you to investigate blocked messages and trace clicks on malicious content
- Easy to deploy and manage, being fully integrated with Office 365
Microsoft Advanced Threat Protection offers businesses an extra layer of protection against malicious threats and phishing attacks. It’s low cost, easy to deploy and easy to manage as it’s fully integrated with Office 365. The machine learning and impersonation detection systems offer businesses a basic level of protection against phishing attacks. However. In October 2017, researchers announced that Microsoft had missed 34,000 phishing emails, demonstrating that it is not the most effective phishing protection platform.
For this reason, Microsoft ATP should not be used alone to protect businesses from phishing or targeted social engineering attacks. If you are planning to use this solution as an extra layer of security, we also recommend using a dedicated third party security solution in our Post – Delivery Protection category. These solutions will be more effective to stop phishing attempts and business email compromise.